Skip To Main Content


As the transition counselor, I work with students in special education to help them transition from high school to adulthood. These activities include career and college research, transition assessments, and referrals to community agencies.

Cynthia Murray, Transition Counselor

What is Transition?

Students identified with a disability who have an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) receive transition services and planning beginning at the age of 14. Transition planning involves identifying the student's post-secondary goals in the areas of post-secondary training, employment and, as needed, independent living. The goal of the IEP at age 14 becomes to identify these goals and beginning aligning the student's interests and abilities towards these goals.

  • Post-Secondary training refers to any form of training after high school. This may include four-year college, two-year college, technical or vocational training and certificate or diploma programs.
  • Employment refers to job and employment training.
  • Independent Living refers to a student's skills necessary for independent living, such as cooking, cleaning, self care and money management.